Wednesday, November 4, 2009

let's get physical

After Halloween and the many mini-snickers/milky way/kit-kat bars that come with it, I've decided that I really need to get back on my "healthy" kick. It's not so much the eating well that's hard for me. Once I clean house and get unhealthy things out of my kitchen, I find that I enjoy the fruit and granola that replace the mint milanos (which are dangerous - I could definitely eat an entire bag by myself. Bad, bad, bad) What I really hate is going to the gym. Though I occasionally enjoy jamming to my ipod while on the elliptical, I'm usually over it in 20 minutes.

Though I get that I need to suck it up and go to the gym, I'd also like to come up with different means of exercise:

1) While figuring out what I want to do with my life, I've decided to do a major overhaul on the house. The boy and I have so many boxes that we moved over here after college that haven't been opened since we graduated in 2005. I've spent so many hours lifting boxes, going through them, moving some things into different rooms while throwing others away, etc. Since I'm a girl who doesn't like to sit in silence, I've been playing old dance music from the 90's that has me dancing around in between running up and down the stairs with boxes. Does that count as exercise? And do I get bonus points for singing and dancing while running around? I think so.

2) I used to be a dancer (jazz, modern, ballet, and tap) from when I was 3-16 years old. When some of these 90's gems come on, I remember certain routines that I did in past recitals and for some reason I can remember entire routines, which is pretty rad. I'm thinking of enrolling in a weekly dance class because 1) I miss it a ton and 2) I was never in better shape than when I was taking those classes.

3) Even though the doctor doesn't like it, this week the weather has been amazing in SF so I've taken Brodie on a few runs around the neighborhood. Though my back problems may get worse if I make this a habit, I've really enjoyed the time outside. I wonder if there are any other good outside activities that could be considered exercise.

4) There was a 1 month period during the bar exam that I was really into "Wii Active" and though it had a tendency to get boring, I actually think some of the exercises worked. Maybe I should use it again?

5) Anyone remember Eric Nies from the first season of "The Real World"? Anyone remember that he used to host "The Grind"? If you've made it this far, maybe you know they had "The Grind" workout videos...which I'm sad to say, I purchased when I was 12 and felt compelled to workout (silly Bianca...you barely had any fat on you back then). Upon telling my mom about how I need to put some excitement into my workout, she offered to send these back to me. While I have no desire to do these tapes again, I know that a lot of people are into the Jillian Michaels' "30 Day Shred". Does it work?

Alright my healthy friends, send suggestions this way!

7 comments:

ANG* said...

ummmmmmm no joke twice a week in HIGH SCHOOL my friends and i would get together and DO the grind workout. seriously. we knew it was hilarious, but it was a really good/fun workout! i sorta wish i still had those tapes. think they ever made it into the DVD form?

ANG* said...

also, 30 day shred is awesome. it works and you will be sore as shit. granted, i never stuck with it. but i had my weeks...

jenn said...

i'm pretty sure i can still do the grind workout video from memory. i must have done that thing 200 times!!

There are a lot of things you can do. IF you wanted to do something with someone - what about tennis? What about signing up for some dance classes through your local rec department? I wanted to mix up my workout routine, so I just started taking 3 classes (kickboxing, yoga & zumba) through the Milwaukee rec department, and they are so cheap and really fun. Zumba is like dance/aerobics, etc. and you get an amazing workout.

I'm also training for the 1/2 marathon with Shaina, but I would not recommend that to anyone. :)

Bayjb said...

Oh my god I remember the Grind but I never did it. Can we find that somewhere and do it again??? I have the Shred but need to start it, I hear good things though

Tights Lover said...

The Grind workout video? That must be hillarious to watch now!

Carissa Thilgen said...

I'd tell you the shred works, except I didn't stick with it too long! haha. but I have always heard good things...

I think enrolling in dance classes would be fantastic! I danced as a child too, jazz, ballet and a little tap. I loved it! I've always wished I kept at it, and sometimes I do think of getting back into it but the idea scares me! :) but YOU should totally do it :)

kirsten said...

thank you so much for the ulta tip! i must look into the whole buy 2 get 1 free. my friend does this one work out video called beach body (im pretty sure). there are a bunch of different dvds and a girl named chalene does them. they really are a good workout! and fun too, which is also important!