Saturday, February 21, 2009

high school crushes and black eyeliner

Last night I was fully determined to be scholastically productive. Books and highlighters out, opened word document to write case briefs, headphones on: I was on a mission. Fortunately Tiffany saved me from this pathetic Friday night to entertain me.

We have a ridiculous way of spending hours on youtube or wikipedia. Here's a reduced summary of our viewing last night:

1) We started by talking about the Blink 182 reunion. We were HUGE fans in high school and I would be lying if I didn't say I'm pumped about them getting back together. While I loved the music, I also had a huge crush on Mark Hoppus. Little known fact: when I first met Matt, he had black spikey hair and was wearing gray dickies shorts, a skater tshirt, and vans. He definitely had a Mr. Hoppus vibe going on which made me go "hmm..." He hates it. I love that I'm marrying a boy that looks a bit like the band guy that I was obsessed with. Rad. After watching a series of their music videos we talked about their "Making the Video" (which they should bring back) episode for this:

2) Since "All the Small Things" mocks boy bands, we started listening to our favorite boy band songs of the 90s. And not just N'Sync or the Backstreet Boys. We were looking up those 1 hit wonders. Anyone remember "Faded" by Soul Decision? How about "Baby When the Lights Go Out" by Five? You should. Those songs still make it on my workout playlist. In the mist of all this boy band craziness I started to think of that MTV movie that made fun of boy bands, which brought us to this:
Did anyone else see this movie? Absolutely ridiculous, and I loved it.

3) Boy bands brought us to the awesome mix tapes we used to play in my car on the way to school. They were random and amazing. There was usually some mix of current poppy hits, 70's folk, and oldies. It was often that we had Britney Spears followed up by Jim Croce. Quality. That go us talking about how back in 2nd grade, our parents use to sit and chat for hours and hours (often into the wee hours of the morning) while we would sit in her room and listen to Oldies 104.3. We always wanted to hear "Judy's Turn to Cry". We took turns disguising our voices and would call over and over again until they played it. We thought we were so slick. We were just ridiculous. That brought us to the fabulous Dusty Springfield:

4) Dusty Springfield and her fabulous 60's fashion made us talk about the movie "Elvis & Me" and how I'm thinking I want to use photos of Priscilla Presley at her wedding as inspiration for my rehersal dinner look. Big hair, lots of black eyeliner. Clearly not the veil and such. I just love the drama of it.

5) Thinking of us as little 7 year olds made me think of my favorite show back then: Blossom. I always felt Tiffany was "Six" and I was Blossom. Clearly Tiffay was cooler. I also tried to rock the hats they wore on that show. Completely unsuccessful. I haven't watched this show in years and I'm dying for it to go on DVD. I just hope it's as good as I remember.

So. Completely. Random.

6 comments:

Andy - Instafather said...

Did anyone watch that movie.. why yes, I did! (what a surprise). One of the singers from that fake band ended up hosting a TLC interior design show.

I'm also excited about the Blink reunion. I've decided to Take Off My Pants and Jacket in celebration.

Unknown said...

i LOVED blink 182. What's my age again still makes me feel like I'm back in junior high :)

B said...

I used to LOVE U+me=Us. Because it cracked me up so much.

PS: I really like your name.

jenn said...

i loved this post!!! i completely remember that movie on MTV, and i'm embarrassed to admit i have the soundtrack. there was a song that went "say it, dont spray it...i want the news...not the weather!!" too funny. thanks for your comment about coach. i think there is a conspiracy going on with their salespeople. your blog is adorable and i look forward to following it! :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I'm suddenly feeling inspired to whip out my old Take Off Your Pants and Jacket cd... I wonder where that got to.

In high school I was seriously into ska. As many laughs as I get for still having Less Than Jake and RBF in my iTunes, listening to that stuff really brings you back.

Sheri, RN said...

OMG so loved this post and am now going to Follow you! :)