Monday, April 6, 2009

wedding weekend

It was a crazy wedding planning filled weekend. It was a little stressful and overwhelming, but really fun. Plus it involved no schoolwork. Fabulous!

Last weekend we were stuffing and licking envelopes for our save the date cards. We ordered them from Wedding Paper Divas, a super cute local company but they are well-known and did an amazing job. Here's the card we chose: which you can find
Here. Clearly that's not my exact invitation since my name is not Gabrielle, but it's beautiful. I started getting calls as early as Tuesday and I found out that the card made it to my relative in Spain on Friday so I think everyone should have received it. Big check out of the way.

On Saturday the boy and I spent the entire day sampling wedding cake from several bakeries. I haven't had real sweets like this in 2 months and it was INTENSE. Complete sugar overload. The amount of samples and flavors that we got to try was unbelievable. Not just vanilla and chocolate, but Bailey's and Kahlua, lemon, cheesecake, dulce de leche filling, ridiculous types of frosting...you get it. I was in heaven! The boy had his heart set on Red Velvet and I'm a girl who likes simple cake so we were worried we wouldn't be able to decide on what we wanted. Fortunately, we found an amazing bakery and designed our cake: 4 square levels, the bottom and top will be red velvet w/cream cheese frosting and the middle two levels will be vanilla with strawberry and whipped cream filling (a la strawberry shortcake). The outside of the cake is butter cream frosting with a thin layer of fondant for decoration. I wish I could explain the outside of the cake. Each level has a different decoration and the sketch of it looks AMAZING. It's girlie and wonderful.

Yesterday we decided to finally start our registry. I thought it would be pretty easy: we have similar tastes, already have some stuff since we've been living together for 3 1/2 years, and discussed what we need. Oh. My. Goodness. Impossible. We only started our registry at one store and we were completely overwhelmed. Which coffee maker do I want? How do I decide between 3 different flatware options that look the same? Wow, pots and pans are expensive...can I justify it? It's rough. I need help and I know there are some super lovely, married bloggers who read this. What do I do?! Any registry advice (including places that you love/hate) would be great.

And finally...for all you baseball fans, today is opening day. I'm treating myself to some low fat popcorn and rocking my Cubs hat and watching the game in an hour. Go Cubs!

6 comments:

j.rachel said...

i'm so excited about your cake! YUMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

jenn said...

yay! go cubbies :) [i cant say that too loudly up here in wisconsin - i'll get shot]. your cake sounds wonderful. the place we had the best luck with for registering was crate & barrel. we also registered at macy's which was fine. we had the worst luck with target. they kept removing things from our registry as they'd discontinue them and not tell us. and a lot of things you could not buy online. that was not a problem at all at c&b. also - you can totally justify pots and pans. a few friends can go in together - which is what mine did on the more expensive stuff (like that and kitchen aid mixer, etc.)

Bayjb said...

OMG I love the save the date card. So gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

did i mention butter cream frosting is my new favorite? mmmmmmmm...

Carissa Thilgen said...

your save the date is so beautiful! I like a bright and adorable save the date myself so I definitely approve of the one you chose! I am no where close to getting married, but I love watching shows like Whose Wedding Is It Anyway, so it's fun to hear about your planning and cake tasting (yum!). no advice here other to enjoy it and keep sharing with us :)

Unknown said...

Yay! Go Cubbies! Chicago native so this just made my day :)