Sunday, March 22, 2009

90's movie soundtracks

The other day Kahea and I took a much needed shopping break during our massive time gap between classes. On the drive back we started talking about 90's movie soundtracks and how they were so great. Being the pop culture/music gal that I am, I thought I'd share my favorites:


1) "William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet" Bonus points to you if you had both soundtracks. This movie came out when I was in 8th grade (1997ish) and I loved it. I thought it was beautifully shot, lovely and modern but let's be honest, it had Leonardo DiCaprio and he was super dreamy. Almost every girl I know remembers the scene 10 or so minutes into the movie where he's sitting on the stage, writing in his journal and smoking a cigarette and he looks up and that little bit of hair is in his eyes. Hardcore gals can also start humming the song that's playing in the scene. But the soundtrack had a lot of gems. For starters, there was "Lovefool" by the Cardigans which you could hear every time you turned on the radio during ths time. But it also had Everclear, Radiohead, Garbage, and Butthole Surfers. Kahea and I started laughing as we realized we both loved the song "To You I Bestow" by Mundy and actually started singing it out loud.


2) "Can't Hardly Wait". I'm not going to lie, I bust out the cd fairly often. My favorites are "Dammit" by Blink 182 and "Tricky" by Run DMC, but it also has Third Eye Blind, Smash Mouth, and Busta Rhymes. Plus any cd that ends with "Paradise City" is fine by me. It's surprising that they didn't include "Mandy" on there since Barry Manilow was kinda a big deal in the movie, but while he makes the songs that make the whole world sing, I didn't miss him on here.


3) "Clueless". If you read this blog enough, you know I love this movie. But I also adore the soundtrack. When I first got it, I listened to "Supermodel" a million time. Not that I wanted to be a supermodel, but I loved the line "I wish that I was like Tori Spelling with a car like hers and a dad like hers". My favorite song was "Where'd You Go" by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. This was right before I was into ska music, but it was so bouncy and fun. I was thrilled when I saw this song was included on Rock Band 2. The soundtrack also had 90's favorites from the Beastie Boys, Radiohead, and Luscious Jackson. Plus who doesn't love "Rolling with the Homies"?


4) "10 Things I Hate About You". This is one of the few tweeny flicks I can watch with the boy and we both actually really enjoy it. My friend Cat and I saw it in the theaters and thought we were so clever because "Bianca and Cat were seeing a movie about two girls named Bianca and Cat". Yea...we're awesome. The big songs that really stick out in my head from this movie are "I Want You to Want Me" by Letters to Cleo and "I Know" by Save Ferris, both bands which appeared in the movie. All my friends were really into this cd. The only this missing was "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" by Heath Ledger. I still can't help but swoon a little when I watch that.


5) "American Pie". That movie was absolutely ridiculous and I loved every second of it. Whoever thought to have some guy "have fun" with a pie is insane...or genius. Besides goodies from Blink 182 and Sugar Ray, my favorites were "You Wanted More" by Tonic and "Sway" by Bic Runga. Whatever happened to them? VH-1, get on that.

After having this convo, I spent the weekend listening to these cds and working on a paper. The music was great...I wish I could say the same for the paper.

What 90's gems did I miss?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i totally and completely agree with every one of these choices.

and funny story: nate and i spent friday night making 90's playlists with friends, and so i spent half of my day on saturday going through my books of cd's. and i can't find my romeo and juliet soundtrack! i have the cd jacket, and i have the 2nd, more instrumental album, but for some reason, the 1st cd is GONE! i think thieving midgets with awesome taste in music came into my room one night and STOLE it!

i'm considering buying it again.

or you could just burn it for me. lol.

Shaina said...

Ahh! I am loving this! All of these soundtracks are AMAZING. Especially Clueless! And 10 Things I Hate About You! Okay...all of them, really. Thanks for the walk down memory lane! Love it!

Shaina said...

Left you some love on my blog!

jenn said...

omg thats so funny because the first thing i thought of when i saw the r+j soundtrack was "to you i bestow"!! that is a great song - even now! i also liked the song sang by the little boy - something about everybody's free...and this other song, i think it was called little star?

Bayjb said...

OMG i nearly died when I saw the Romeo & Juliet soundtrack, that totally took me back!!!

Shana said...

Totally love your soundtrack picks. Clueless was my fave for the same song... "I didn't eat today and I'm not gonna eat tomorrow, CAUSE I WANNA BE A SUPERMODEL!"There were some other great songs on there..."all the young dudes, carry a tuuunne." and "rollin' with my homies." I totally remember singing that song over and over at lunch time in 7th grade. Good times! :)

Anonymous said...

Good choices! I loved "Can't Hardly Wait." And I feel so old for saying that.

Also, the "Singles" soundtrack was no joke if you were into early 90s alternative. I was always more partial to the "Above The Rim" soundtrack, though.

Anonymous said...

OMG. I dont think you missed any of my favorites. Those were such kickass soundtracks.