Monday, October 6, 2008

designer imposters - part 2

Back in June I talked about Designer Imposters

First, a little background. The other day, Brodie was hopping (because he think he's a bunny) around the bed and decided to hop over me. But he jumped a little short and his back leg landed on my left eye. Ouchy. So my eye was a little red and I needed eye drops so I went to Walgreens. I got home, opened the package, took the little plastic safety seal off, twisted the cap off and there was no dropper! So when they say "check to make sure the bottle hasn't been tampered with", really check.

Today I went back to Walgreens to return the drops and took a little stroll through the store, when my eyes landed on this:


A few points:

1) It's scary that the packaging on some of those bottles is exactly the same as it was back when I bought them 15 years ago. I definitely had "Primo", "Confess", and "A Little Sexy" and if I looked hard enough through my boxes of junk in my room at my mom's house, I bet I could find a bottle.

2) I can't believe that was 15 years ago...

3) They cost $4.49 now. They were only $1.99 back in the day. And really, you shouldn't even pay that much. I feel bad for all the young girls whose allowance won't cover a bottle. But I think kids may be getting more than the $2/week I got.

4) If you wear those, do you actually say what you're wearing, or do you pretend like you're wearing the actual fragrance. I would really love to ask someone if they were wearing "Clinique Happy" and have them say "No, I'm wearing 'Wanna Play'". Although honestly, if they're still using the same formulas as they were back when I was learning long division, they don't smell like the real thing.

5) Apparently Ali Larter, pre-Varsity Blues/Legally Blonde/Heroes, starred in a Designer Imposters commercial. It's kinda risque, but totally 90s:


6) Who knew I would have so much to say about faux perfume?

4 comments:

Libby said...

that commercial is hilarious!

Maxie said...

OMG i love primo! that was my jammm back in the day.

Bayjb said...

Wow Primo is taking me back. The packaging and commercial does too! Holy crap the memories.

Rab said...

We had those musty faux-perfumes too!! I had one that was a rip-off of CK One I think. Loved it.