Sunday, October 26, 2008

a nap sounds lovely

This weekend was bananas...again. It seems like the weekends aren't time off anymore, just work days where I don't have to go to class. I remember waking up on Saturday mornings and eating my bowl of cereal while I watched "Saved By the Bell" and "California Dreams" and the only thing I had to worry about was making sure that I didn't leave the remote control in the living room when I went to refill my glass of orange juice or else my brother would steal it and I could kiss my tv shows goodbye. Distant memory. But I did finally cave in to twitter...who can I follow???

Yesterday was Matt's Dad's golf tournament. The event is less about getting the best score and more about getting wasted and for the past few years I've been the designated driver for the team. On Friday night I stayed up until 2 a.m. doing work which was silly since I had to be awake at 6:30 am to pack up all of my stuff for the day, grab Brodie and all his stuff pack it all in the car, and get out of the house so we could be at Matt's parents house by 7:30. After I picked up the team and dropped them off at the golf course, I went back to Matt's house armed with law books and a venti caramel mochiatto and when to work. This week I have my legal ethics paper and my rough draft for my thesis due on the same day...not sure if that's going to happen. But I was determined to get the ethics paper finished by Sunday and it took all my energy to focus on it yesterday. I was able to make a little dent in it which was good. Around 4 p.m. I got the phone call to pick up the boys. I got there and Matt was wasted (good boy) and proudly showed me the mark on his leg:

Matt: Look at my leg!
Me: Omg baby, what happened?!
Matt: I fell out of the golf cart.
Me: You fell out of the golf cart...?
Matt: Yea, someone threw my ball to me and I reached out to grab it and fell out. And I wasn't even drunk yet!
Me: Right...
Matt: No really! I fell out again later, but I was drunk that time.
Me: Nice.

After I dropped people back at home, we had to get ready for the post-tournament dinner. We went, we ate, they drank. It was lovely. I finally got Matt and Brodie home around 9:30 and while I convinced myself that I would keep working, my body disagreed and I fell asleep on my laptop sometime around 11.

Today I managed to focus a bit and finished the legal ethics paper. I'm not even sure if it makes sense, but it's only worth 10% and the professor said it's supposed to be a "rough draft" of the bigger paper that's due in a month. "Rough" can mean "completely unorganized", right? I hope so.

I gave myself a mini-break for dinner and now I'm off to work on the thesis. Wish me luck. Also, I need to post my October playlist. I'll get to that later this week...

Hope you all had a great weekend!


Kahea said...

please, please, PLEASE remind me why we haven't dropped out yet?!

and btw, you are my hero for being so hardcore this weekend. i hope you treat yourself to the nicest, longest, most luxurious spa day ever when this semester is over.

maybe i'll join you....hmmmmm....

post a playlist! i love playlists!

Bayjb said...

That sounds like an awesome golf tournament. Being sober while playing is totally overrated. Maegan said...

lol ....I had the same situation with my brother and the remote and now I have the same problem with my husband

Anonymous said...

Ha ha I agree with Bayjb - gotta be a little tipsy for golf to be fun...