Friday, October 31, 2008

october playlist

October has been a crazy month. I wish I could say it was full of parties, dancing, debauchery, etc. Sadly, it's really just been full of reading and writing papers. Here's hoping to a better November.

As Promised: My October Playlist

1) "August 28th, 3:30 a.m." - Automatic Loveletter. I think the first time I heard this song was on The Hills (yes, I'm addicted to this show as well. yes I know it's fake). This song is a Paramore-ish ballad with a chorus that makes me sing at the top of my lungs. I've been playing it a lot on the way to school since the singing helps wake me up.

2) "Hammars & Strings - A Lullaby" - Jack's Mannequin. Not sure if any of you have heard of them, but it's the side project from the lead singer of Something Corporate. Their music is piano driven mellowish rock. Their new album is freaking amazing and has been on repeat a lot.

3) "Just Dance" - Lady GaGa. If you read Perez Hilton, she's all over that site. I was a little hesistent to check her out, but I finally took the plunge and I'm glad I did. This is just a good pop song that makes you want to get up and dance. Plus it seems like this girl can actually sing. She sounds less processed than Britney (though I still love her) but the poppiness is just as good.

4) "Hey Jealousy" - Gin Blossoms. This is one of those songs that I could listen to a thousand times and stil love. It's 90s. It's wonderful.

5) "Take Me Home Tonight" - Eddie Money. For some reason this song reminds me of a drunken night of karaoke, which I don't get to do nearly as much as I would like. I also remember this video from when I was super little. Not sure why, but for your 80s enjoyment: I particularly like it because it features "Ronnie Spector" of the Ronettes whom I adore. If you're ever bored, read her autobiography: "Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness, or My Life as a Fabulous Ronette". She talks all about the craziness of being married to Phil Spector. It's nutty.

6) "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead. Interestingly, the first time I heard this song was an acoustic version on the "Clueless" soundtrack. But I think the original version is so much better. I love that it starts of mellow and then picks up as the song progresses. Fabulous.

7) "Somebody Hates Me" - Reel Big Fish. When I was in high school, I was obsessed with Reel Big Fish and ska music in general. I think I've seen them live more than any other band - they were super fun and the crowd was so into it. As the years went by, the band made some changes and I don't love them as much anymore. But I decided to pul this gem out the other day and was taken back.

8) "I Saw the Light" - Todd Rundgren. One of those songs from the 70s that I adore. Whenever I hear it, it makes me happy. Not sure why.

9) "Chasing Pavements" - Adele. She was one of those artists that I heard about here and there and didn't take time to look into. Then I watched her perform on SNL a few weeks ago and was like "wow, check this girl out."

10) "Love Story" - Taylor Swift. I'm not really a gal that's into country music, but I really like Taylor Swift. I liked "Our Song" which was on the radio 24/7 for a while, so I was excited to find another song of hers that I like.

There you go. I'm in the need of new music, so what are you guys and gals currently listening to???

3 comments:

Maxie said...

There's some poker song by lady gaga that I really like... but right now I can't remember the name of it.

I'm such a techno whore-- i'm obsessed with this song called "let me think about it" by ida carr (or corr maybe?). I jam out to it all day.

also there's that stupid song on the radio... pop champagne or something? there are parts of it that I HATE, but I can't help but jam out a little.

Anonymous said...

i'm now gonna check out "august 28th, 3:30 a.m." since we all know i love paramore.

i'm ridiculously bummed that i'm not going to the jack's mannequin show tomorrow night. like, so bummed that i'm still secretly considering buying tickets off craigslist and blowing off studying to go to it. andrew..... although, i HAVE to say that i'm still a little more partial to "everything in transit." but everything they do is good so it hardly matters.

gin blossoms defined high school for me, and "hey jealously" started it all. and then there's "until i fall away" and "follow you down". awesomeness.

i have "take me home tonight" stuck in my head now, thank you. lol.

okay, so i guess since you're the billionth person to tell me about adele, i should probably check it out. i'll do that after automatic loveletter.

taylor swift! "cold as you" is great too!

i <3 your playlists.

j.rachel said...

i know you have taste and can appreciate indie rock. so here are my suggestions:

the ting tings
architecture in helsinki
jaymay
trespasser williams
the little ones
the duke spirit
lykke li
the bird and the bee