Saturday, December 20, 2008

Soo Nice to Be Home


I've been home for a few days now and it's soo nice to be back in Chicago. I almost forget how much I love this city.

I should start with my adventurous trip home. Plane tickets are ridiculously expensive and the "best" flight I could get was a 5:55 a.m. flight out of SF that had to stop in Denver for an hour then off to Chicago. Normally I don't really mind the super early flight because I can usually sleep. Unfortunately, my sleep schedule during finals was totally messed up - I was waking up around noon and going to sleep around 5 a.m. So I only managed to get an hour of sleep before I had to wake up and go to the airport. The lack of sleep and my fear of flying made me feel totally sick and I was convinced that I would be in for a pretty bad trip home. On the first flight from SF to Denver I was supposed to have a middle seat. Boo. But it turns out that the aisle and window seat were taken by this couple that were hoping that no one would book the middle seat, so they asked if I would take the aisle. Um, absolutely. Yay! I couldn't sleep, but was thrilled that they were showing episodes of the Office which is a quality way to spend a flight. We took off a little late but I had 70 minutes to make my 2nd flight so I wasn't too worried. So we take off, watch the Office, land and I have 45 minutes to spare...and then the door wouldn't open. Yes, the plane door was stuck. I was on a plane full of people freaking out because everyone had to make connecting flights. People screaming at friends on their cell phones, people screaming at the flight attendants, people screaming at eachother...bad news. They finally got the door open and I had 2 minutes to run to the gate. I don't run. It was a pleasant reminder that I really need to get my butt to the gym.

So I get on flight #2 and see that we're supposed to watch Ugly Betty and How I Met Your Mother. Fabulous! We get an announcement that the tvs in 1st class weren't working. No biggie, I'm a poor gal and I'm sure I'll never have the privilege to fly 1st class. But wait...the screens won't work for them, so they're not going to show anything. Um...no. No, no, no. I always understood when teachers said that I shouldn't give a piece of candy to some students if I didn't have enough for everyone, but I swear this is different. I fell asleep for the last 30 minutes of the flight and woke up when we landed and was freaked out because I wasn't expecting it.

Fortunately I didn't have to deal with another broken door and I was off the plane. I hate using the bathrooms on the plane (turbulance + small space = scary times. I don't even know how people manage to join the mile high club) so I ran to pee before I grabbed my bags. So I get in the stall and realize that the woman in the stall next to me was on her cell phone. Hm...alright? It was really awkward how she carried on about her day with her friend while chilling in the bathroom stall. The call really couldn't be that important. I secretly found myself wishing that she would drop the phone in the toilet. Mean, maybe, but she made those 3 minutes of my day uncomfortable, so I think it's ok. I ran out of the bathroom, grab my bags, and ran outside to RIDICULOUSLY cold weather and met the Bestie who was soo sweet to come pick me up even though she would have to rush to work. I heart her.

So far my time home has been relaxing. It's cold and snowy, but being lazy on the couch watching bad tv is soo great. And last night I got the meet the Bestie's roomie whom I absolutely adore. We all ate too many wild wings and Tiffany managed to get me to a Target in Boo-Foo with literally 10 seconds to spare so I could pick up my bros Christmas gift. Good times.

I will try to be a good little blogger while I'm vacation with no excuses since I have absolutely no homework to do for the next 20 or so days. It's going to be heavenly!

P.S. For the girlie girls: I recently became a Sephora Beauty Insider and they gave me a $15 gift card to be used on a purchase of $35 or more. While freaking out during finals I decided to treat myself. I bought this and it's amazing!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

"I always understood when teachers said that I shouldn't give a piece of candy to some students if I didn't have enough for everyone, but I swear this is different."

love it

i also read bestie as bestey and was like who the fuck is betsy and she better back away from my bff!! lol

Unknown said...

omg I hate planes and I hate flying. Totally agree with you about the bathrooms ...I always think the plane is going to crash when I am in there. At least you had the Office to take your mind away. And at least you are home now!

Bayjb said...

Wow that is quite a trip, but welcome to the city! Today was bitter cold and we snow waiting for you. How long are you in town, we should get together.

Anonymous said...

I'm too scared to speak on my phone in the bathroom (no matter how convienient) as I'd be too worried the person on the other end of the phone would hear those 'bathroom noises'. Friends don't let friends go through that.

-Miss Em x