Saturday, January 10, 2009

Good Vibrations, Contempo Casuals, and Cyndi Lauper

Tonight has been a night of watching movies from the 1990s, so I thought I'd share:

1) I adore Mark Wahlberg. I think it's a combination of the accent/Calvin Klein abs/Funky Bunch. The first movie on was "Fear". I remember watching it when I was 13(ish) years old and thinking that he was super dreamy, even though he was absolutely nuts. But I don't think my sheltered suburban self fully understood the crazy until I rewatched it tonight. Example: Mark's character trashes Reese Witherspoon's father's car (that is a red convertible) and leaves a note that says "Now I've popped both your cherries". Classy. I also love his home made tattoo that said "Nicole 4eva". I guess grammar doesn't matter when marking yourself for life.

2) Next up we have "Clueless" which is one of my favorite movies of all tme. I saw it in the theater 4 times and thought Cher and Dionne were the coolest girls ever. Plus the fashion in that flick was genius. Best line: Amber: "Ms. Stoeger, my plastic surgeon doesn't want me doing any activity where balls fly at my nose." Dionne: "Well, there goes your social life." I definitely didn't understand that until many years later.

3) Finally we have "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" which seems like a flick from the 80's because of the quality music. That movie has many quality parts, but this is by far the best:

Is it sad that this is a quality Saturday night???

6 comments:

Maxie said...

I love Fear! I haven't seen that movie in forever.

Anonymous said...

janeane garofalo in romy and michelle's is by far my favorite character. my older sister and i used to watch that movie just to hear her yell at the stoic cowboy that he should go and find some sheep to...well, you get it. :)

Andy - Instafather said...

Well, since you read my stuff, you know my thing with Mark Wahlberg. He's so creepy good in that movie. I love the rollercoaster scene, too.

Laura said...

There is nothing wrong with a little Marky Mark. You have great taste. Such a cutie and we had a cheerleading dance to Good Vibrations. Cheers :)

Bayjb said...

OMG I love Clueless. I love when that's on cable. So classic. Thanks for the e-mail too. Too bad we didn't meet up but next time!

Unknown said...

I totally watched FEAR {again} the other night when it was on and seriously, it's still so good. I actually met and was friends with Reese right after this movie came out. We were so young. 20 or so and her boyfriend at the time was so jealous of Marky Mark {or maybe it was Toby McGuire from when they did Pleasantville ...} that they broke up because of it ...so funny ..but then she met Ryan at her 21st and the rest is history. LOVE THIS MOVIE.