Sunday, January 25, 2009

my love/hate relationship with costco

Today was errands day. Usually we try to limit ourselves to Target and Safeway but once in a while we decide to go all out and make the trip to Costco. Fortunately the nearest Costco is only 5 minutes away but while there are some wonderful things about that store, there are also the things that make me cringe. Here's a little play by play of my trip today:

1) We pull into the parking lot and there's bumper to bumper traffic. There are 2 lanes going towards the store. The right lane is for people who want to get gas and who will wait in that line for 45 minutes to save $.08/gallon. I'm not sure that's worth the wait. 3 people in that line didn't realize that they were in the gas line and decided to cut in front of me to get into the parking lot. When a 4th person tried to get in front of me and I didn't let them, they proceeded to honk at me and start yelling. Whatever, I think the 3 people I let in was sufficient. Hate.

2) As we're driving down the aisle we see someone walking towards their car. Turns out they have the 1st non-handicap spot. Score, rockstar parking! We turn on our blinker and wait for them to put their goods in the trunk and get into their car. Someone starts driving up from the other side and stops and puts on their blinker. Um...no. Costco parking is a nightmare and I was not about to let someone grab my spot. Fortunately the person in the spot saw what was going on and pulled out in a way to block the other guy so I could get in. Love nice people. Hate Costco parking.

3) We walk in and are greeted by wonderful, huge displays. Costco displays may be my favorite thing about the store, especially in the summer when they have the boats and I can pretend that I'm in Greece drinking champagne and rocking big Jackie O sunglasses. Today's displays were far less extravagant, but I did get to watch a group of people attempt to use a karaoke machine. I'm really glad I didn't have to hear a rendition of "I Will Survive", but it was highly entertaining. Love.

4) Since Sundays are family packed days at Costco, there are tons of samples. I'm convinced that you could eat enough food for an entire meal if you go at the right time of day. Shrimp, spinach dip, pita chips, and cake make me a happy gal. Love.

5) There were a ton of people shopping today and I hate when people suddenly stop with their carts in front of the flow of people walking through the store instead of pulling their cart full of toilet paper, bottled water, and gallon jug of ketchup to the side. I decided to start counting: 5 people who randomly stopped in front of me and 3 shopping carts that hit me. Hate.

6) The beauty section keeps getting better and better. I was stoked when they started carrying some Smashbox products but now they have stuff from Stila and Bobbi Brown. I restrained myself and didn't buy, but I'm excited that the carry it. Love.

7) Longest. Checkout. Line. Ever. One should not have to wait 20 minutes. Hate.

8) The thing that makes Costco worthwhile: where else can you get a hot dog and soda for $1.50? LOVE.

So there you have it. I'm happy I survived and even happier that I won't have to go back for a few months. Anyone else have the love/hate relationship?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

can we go on a couples trip to greece, take a day on a boat, drink champagne, swim, and rock Jackie O's?

the cheap hot dog meals at costco are the devil. they even rival the cheap hot dog meals at ikea.

So@24 said...

Also, it always seems like a good idea at the time to buy a lifesize carton of teddy bear graham crackers. But really, does anyone ever finish those?

Anonymous said...

I did Costco on Saturday. Pretty much the same atmosphere as what you described.

I'm convinced they provide such a vast amount of free samples not only to hope you buy the product that's being put out for sampling, but also to provide you the proper nourishment to allow you to make it all the way through the store. I also believe the amount of samples available are directly related to the amount of people expected that day, not so everyone can have something, but again: to keep you nourished. Dealing with buttloads of people wandering around burns up the energy, y'know.

Maxie said...

can you believe we don't even have a costco here?! but we do have a sams club and i love their samples. to die for :-)

Unknown said...

haha I love this post. I also enjoy the samples at Costco and find myself eating every single one whether I'm hungry or not. I also hate when people stop with their carts/bump into me. It makes me want to scream!