Thursday, September 18, 2008

because i want to be penny lane

If you read any of my insane ramblings on this blog, you'll know that I love music. I sing along and dance to it as I get ready in the mornings (think Cameron Diaz in "Charlie's Angels", but not as intense. Ok that's a lie, just as intense). It's a staple when driving in the car, particularly if I'm hanging out with Tiffany. We turn car rides into a performance. Back in high school we even had choreography to some songs. Yes, we're that cool. And of course, it's the only way I can study. I don't work well in silence, which is why I can't spend more than 2 minutes inside the law library.


My favorite movie of all time is "Almost Famous". In my experience it's one of those movies that you absolutely love or totally hate. Jessica and I have watched that movie countless times and randomly quote it. It's lovely. But why I love that flick is that it's so centered in a passion for music. Cameron Crowe used to make these playlists that would reflect the music he was listening to at the time. He went back to these lists as he wrote the film. I do the same thing. I have a pile of mix tapes from junior high and high school full of songs that I taped off the radio (bootleg, yes, but this was pre-itunes so it worked). Some songs were current hit on the local alternative radio station that I was into at the time while others were oldies but goodies. The result were these wonderfully random mixes that reflected what I was listening to at that time in my life. My mix tape/playlist skills have evolved a bit since then, but I still make these playlists every month or so and while not all the songs on them are current and don't necessarily point to a particular "time", they do reflect moi.

Tiffany has generously named me the master of the mix tape, so I told her I would start posting my current mixes on here. The current mix is a little song, so I'll simply post the first 10 songs. So without further ado...

1) "Time to Pretend" - MGMT. I actually downloaded this song a little while back because it was itunes "free single of the week". I didn't really listen to more than the 30 second preview. Months later a friend recommended MGMT to me. I pulled up their album on Rhapsody and loved the synthy rock sounds. Then one day in my shuffle I found that I had one of their songs.

2) "I Never" - Rilo Kiley. I heart Rilo Kiley. How can you not love a band whose singer was in "Troop Beverly Hills" and whose guitarist was on "Salute Your Shorts". I tend to put at least one song on a mix that lets me really belt out.

3) "Dance Dance" - Fall Out Boy. Yes, Fall Out Boy. I tried really hard to resist them...but they're just so catchy.

4) "I Got a Man" - Positive K. Such an oldie but goodie. And the lyrics are hilarious. "I'm Big Daddy Longstroke, and your man's Pee Wee Herman." Genius. I actually love this song so much that it probably pops up on 1/5 of my playlists.

5) "Bad Girl" - Danity Kane. I admit, I watch MTV's "Making the Band". It's such a guilty pleasure. But these girls are actually talented and this song makes me want to shake my bootie. Plus any song with a cameo from Missy Elliot is a plus.

6) "Calling All Skeletons" - Alkaline Trio. Duh, it's the Trio. It's quality. I'm totally digging their new cd.

7) "Night Time is the Right Time" - Ray Charles. Ever since I was little and saw the Huxtable clan perform this on "The Cosby Show", I've loved it.

8) "Shake It" - Metro Station. Another itunes free single that's blowing up on the radio now. It's catchy and makes me want to shake it.

9) "Because It's Not Love" - The Pipettes. This British girl group is insanely adorable. They have the sound of the girl groups from the 1960's but with a modern twist.

10) "Little Red Corvette" - Prince. Old school Prince is so great. A few coworkers and I got really into him this summer. The highlight was going to the "Prince vs. Michael Jackson" dance night. That room was filled with so many quality songs I really didn't know what to do with myself. Plus listening to Prince reminds me of the Chapelle Show clip where Prince made pancakes for Charlie Murphy.

There you have it folks. Do you have any songs that are a "must have" on your mixes? Let me know - perhaps they're gems that I've forgotten.

4 comments:

So@24 said...

"Dance Dance" is pretty good, but I think "Chicago is So Two Years Ago" is far superior.

Song I have to have on a mix? "Your Kiss Is On My List" by Hall & Oats

Andy - Instafather said...

Try "Electric Feel" by MGMT... and you already know about my love for Making the Band.

Bayjb said...

Almost Famous is like one of my favorite movies ever. I would love to go on the road with a band like that in the 60s/70s and enjoy the adventure.

Maxie said...

I watch Making the Band too-- I'm obsessed. I almost feel like I know those girls since they've been on for what-- 4 or 5 seasons now? I ,3 them.