Tuesday, September 30, 2008

i saw the sign...

Let me set the stage: It's 5th grade and I'm sitting in the gym watching rehersals for the 5th/6th grade production of Beowulf and waiting for my part to come up. I'm doing my math homework and listening to a tape on my walkman. It's the same tape that all my friends were listening to on their walkmans at the same time. Side 1 on was our favorite and you could hear the clicks of people's walkmans as they stopped the tape and pressed rewind and quickly pressed play again.

Today I've been sitting at my desk all day working on an outline my law school thesis with shuffle in the background when these songs came back to me.

Who remembers a little album by Ace of Base called "The Sign"?


I'm sure most of us know "The Sign" and, if you're cool like me, still know all the words. I remember being 10 years old and thinking "good for that girl, she saw the sign and left that guy." The video is so 90's and fantastic.


But who remembers the other gems on the cd: "All that She Wants" and my personal favorite, "Don't Turn Around".

The best part is the "rap" around 2:45

Oh Sweden...you brought me Abba and you brought me Ace of Base. What would my life be like without you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cannot tell you how obsessed with ace of base i was. i had their cassette singles. still probably do somewhere...

Libby said...

i looovved ace of base;-P every once in a while they still show up on the radio somewhere & every time i hear one of their songs i have to turn the volume up & sing along...i love the 90s

So@24 said...

Ace of Base was my very first cd I ever purchased. That ish is still relevant today.

I bust it out at parties and it's always a hit.

whatchoo gonna tell your dad it's like a wheeeeel of fortune

Maxie said...

how could I ever forget ace of base? Only the best CD (tape I should say) to ever be released!

I have a really awesome dance to I saw the sign. Someday I will videotape it and put it on my blog.

Bayjb said...

OMFG Ace of Base. Holy shit you're taking me back. I remember dancing to this at speech debate events. Awesome.