Friday, September 26, 2008

billie jean is not my lover

After spending the morning crying while watching "A Walk to Remember" (seriously, that movie always kills me. What guy does all that stuff for a girl???), I finally settled down to do work. I was flipping through channels to find something to listen to in the background and I stopped on Food Network where someone was baking. While explaining how to make whatever they were making, they said "beat the eggs" which prompted me to start humming "Beat It" and suddenly I had this craving to listen to Michael Jackson.

I have a pretty stellar collection of Michael's old stuff and it makes me sad to remember just how good he used to be. Case in point: Billie Jean. We all remember that video. The black cat; weird creepy detective guy; light up sidewalk. I'd post it on here for all of you to enjoy, but the first 20 or so videos of it I saw on youtube had embedding disabled. But I present Michael's performance from "Motown 25"

The short pants, glittery socks, and the glove. Amazing. Plus that was the first time he performed the moonwalk. Soo good.

In other gems we also have "Thriller" (which gave me nightmares for weeks), "Bad", "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough". And of course I can't forget "Beat It" which holds a very special place in my heart for this reason:
How creepy is that?! I especially love that it says it comes with glittering "magic" glove. What kind of magic is that glove capable of? My brother actually owned this. It was a random gift from a relative of ours and it sat in the corner of our room. The 80's really were an amazing time.

The thing about Michael Jackson is that he was this amazing performer with fantastic songs that everyone knows the words to. What happened to him??? Totally tragic.

4 comments:

Maxie said...

I WISH MJ would could back in full force-- how awesome would it be if he would release new music that was like his old stuff.

it makes me sad.

Lailah Morris said...

i love how food network made you think of michael jackson.

Unknown said...

he was so good. so good. what did happen? I wanna rock with you ...so good.

Bayjb said...

Wow that is a flash back. I remember buying Thriller on tape with that song! I miss that old MJ, not the odd duck he's become.