Wednesday, September 3, 2008

An 80's Memory

So as a girl who lived in the 80's, there are several things I liked.

1) Jem: She was truly truly truly outrageous

2) Fanny Packs: It was a tragic look for me. Not only did I rock the fanny pack, but they also had mini ones for your wrists. So while my brush and dr. pepper lip smacker went in the fanny pack, my $2 allowance went in the wrist pack. Hot.

3) Skip-it. How a long piece of plastic with a ball on the end provided so many hours of entertainment still baffles me. But I loved it. My friends and I each had ones that were different colors and we would stand in a circle and play. My friend got me a new one for my 25th birthday. Interestingly, they don't have the counters on them anymore which was probably my favorite part of skip-it (because who doesn't want to brag about having more "skips")

This isn't a post about those fun 80's memories. It's about a little band known as New Kids on the Block.

Several years ago a show on VH-1 called "Bands Reunited" tried to get them to come together for one night, but they wouldn't. It was the only 30 min. episode of the show because every other group went for it. So I'm not going to lie - I was a huge fan. I had the pins, the bedspread (with the side of the pillow with Donnie and Joey face up always because they were the dreamiest), posters, etc. My music taste has evolved a lot since then. But I was eagerly anticipating their reunion. And...I'm undecided

I'm not really loving the new material and I'm a little weirded out they continue to choreograph routines like they did back in the day. But here is a clip of them performing "Step by Step" on the View:

Not nearly as bad I thought it would be. The worst part are the chicks in the audience attempting to sing along. They're not representing like I would.

There's something to be said about leaving the past in the past. It's like when they remake movies. There was some talk about someone making a new version of "The Breakfast Club". No one could be as good as the original cast. It's the same reason why I can't watch that J.C. Penny commercial that recreates scenes from the movie. But then you see bands like The Rolling Stones who continue to perform and sell out everywhere they play and they're good. So I don't know. Maybe I'm just yearning for 1988...

3 comments:

Bayjb said...

I nearly lost my shit while reading this with the 80s memories. Skip it? OMG I nearly died reading about that again. Jem, I loved her, LOVED HER, had the dolls and everything.

Anonymous said...

um...i can still sing the theme song from jem. THAT'S how obsessed i was. and skip-its?! i think between me and my sisters, we had like, five of them. and it would count your skips...awesomeness.

So@24 said...

And the very best thing of all... there's a counter on this ball...